To prolong your pearl jewellery’s life and maintain their luster, some TLC is needed.
· Pearls should never be cleaned in an ultrasonic or steam cleaner. Always use a soft cloth to polish your pearls
· Pearl is generally stable to light, but heat from intense light can cause dehydration and cracked nacre.
· keep away from anything acidic including hair spray, perfume, cosmetics, and even perspiration as acid can cause cracks in the nacre. So do put on your pearl jewellery after allying your perfume, makeup and hairspray etc.
· It is best to avoid wearing your pearls for swimming, pearls obviously love water but it’s the silk or thread that isn’t too keen on water! If your pearls are worn often, they should be restrung once a year with silk thread and knot between every pearl to avoid rubbing against each other, which will ruin eventually cause cracks and damage to the nacre.
· It’s safe to use warm, soapy water for occasional, thorough cleaning. If the pearls are strung, be sure the string is completely dry before wearing.